VISION & VALUES
Children’s ministry exists to support children and families in their journey of faith and discipleship. Our vision is that children will experience the love of God and God’s family, grow deep and genuine roots of faith, and begin to manifest God’s kingdom in their lives and in the world.
We believe children …
- are an essential part of the church community
- are fully capable of real spirituality
- can know, love, and speak to God as God knows, loves, and speaks to them
- bring their own thoughts, emotions, and experiences to their faith
- are able to explore the truths of God at their own pace and in God’s timing
OUR SUNDAY MORNING COMMUNITIES
- Infants (9 a.m. only): Pink Room
- A compassionately nurturing introduction to church that extends parents’ love, protection, and care. The room is well equipped with age-appropriate toys and comforting adult volunteers. Ratio is 1 adult to 2 infants (up to 6).
- Toddlers & young preschoolers (9 & 11 a.m.): Yellow Room
- A loving, safe place where children are free to develop their personalities and grow in their understanding of God with age-appropriate guidance. Each Sunday there is story time, music, and lots of time for free play (and sometimes a visit to the playground!). Ratio is 1 adult to 4 children (up to 16).
- PreK-1st grade (9 & 11 a.m.): Green Room
- Children are invited into the unfolding story of God and God’s people through an approach called Godly Play, a Montessori-based curriculum that teaches kids with hands-on material, open-ended discussion, and a child-directed time of response. There are also opportunities for children to get to know one another, serve each other, and pray together. 2 adults lead up to 16 children.
- 2nd-3rd grade (9 & 11 a.m.): Blue Room
- This class continues to use Godly Play, a Montessori-based curriculum that teaches kids with hands-on material, open-ended discussion, and a child-directed time of response. As the children get older, they will build on the “core” stories they know by exploring “extension” lessons that give them a deeper, broader, and more integrative look at the story of God and God’s people. There are also opportunities for children to get to know one another, serve each other, and pray together. 2 adults lead up to 16 children.
- 4th-5th grade (11 a.m. only): Red Room
- In this community, children begin the transition to pre-adolescence and youth ministry by exploring the “big God story” of the Bible through creative storytelling, media, and hands-on activities. Emphasis is placed on discussion, personal response, and application to real-life challenges of this age group. Children are given opportunities for service and prayer as a group. 2 adults lead up to 24 children.
SAFETY & SECURITY
We recognize that children’s faith will best be able to grow within an environment that is physically, emotionally, and psychologically safe, and we aim to provide that. See our Children’s Ministry Handbook for details about our safety and security policies and procedures.
BEYOND SUNDAY MORNINGS
We desire to partner with families for the spiritual growth of children, and to provide outreach opportunities for the community to meet God through God’s family.
- Milestone events like child dedication, 2nd grade Bibles, 5th grade graduation, and more.
- Family engagement and support such as book groups, parenting classes, and more.
- Community events like St. Nick, park playdates, and more
- Maker Camp
- All-Church 5th Sundays & other intergenerational events